RE: 8v timeing belt question

<x-flowed>Just as an addition to what Jonas wrote. Sometimes it has been known for
shope like MR Clutch to install the flywheel on incorrectly and then the
marks on the flywheel wont line up with respect to the rest of the engine.
If this is the case (you think) then there is a notch on the crank pulley
the needs to be lined up with the outer edge of the intermediate pulley. If
you have already installed the lower T.B. cover then you should see an arrow
in this area. That is what the notch should line up with. If all else fails
and you have ac or some shit then remover #1 spark plug and put a
screwdriver into the hole and rotate the engine until the screwdriver is at
its apex that should tell you TDC for the crank. HTH Oh and BTW be careful
with that screwdriver, dont score the cylinder walls or get it wedged
between thee piston and the cylinder.

>From: Jonas Karlsson <jkarlsso@metabolex.com>
>To: "scirocco-l" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>,        Speed Racer
><speed_racer84@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: 8v timeing belt question
>Date: 08 Nov 99 12:53:28 +0100
>

>Speed Racer wrote:
>
> >The reason I
> >ask is mine bit the dust and now with new belt will not start.
>

>You should be fine, but why won't it start?  Did you align everything
>when you put the new belt in? Basically, the crank needs to be at TDC,
>(the mark on the flywheel lined up with the pointer) the cam needs to be
>set so the "dot" on the inside lip of cam sprocket is lined up with the
>front top edge of the cylinder head (NOT valve cover), and finally, the
>intermediate shaft needs to be turned so that the rotor points to the #1
>cylinder (or where the #1 plug wire on the distributor cap attaches).
>With all these lined up, the car should start up and idle well enough
>for you to set the timing with a timing light.
>
>If you did all the things above, then please describe your problem in
>finer detail. That way we can narrow down the problem.
>
>HTH
>
>Jonas
>85 Scirocco 2.0
>

>--