If you could spend $3000 on your 8V

This one's a bit long ...

My poor little '84 wolfie was smashed in a parking lot last week - by
one of my firm's most high-maintenance, low-margin customers, of all
people.   This really just added to the existing frame damage and was
the last straw after my stereo head unit was stolen(and front speakers),

the door handles were pried at, etc.  I started looking for a new car.
It's
heresy I know, but I was hunting for a Corrado - the new job's been
good to me :-) and the poor car has just been accumulating bad habits,
creaks, groans, oil pressure wierdnesses, leaks, etc.

Well, turns out that in Windsor, ONtario - that's right, a town of
200,000
people, mostly Big Three Factories - someone was selling a Scirocco.  A
1984 Red 8V 5spd w/sunroof.  Damn.  It was worth taking a look, and
seeing the great condition of this car meant I had to have it.

So I bought it. :-)  Today I took some pics of my old tired roc next to
the
new one and I swear to God I almost cried looking over at the donor Roc,

as I pulled out the brand new rad, Bosch triple platinums and wires, etc
and
began the swap.  However!  This all leads me to the real subject of the
post.

It's an '84 8v in great shape inside and out.  I have $3000 CDN left
after the
car purchase, which I want to spend promptly on making this a stable,
FUN,
dependable, reliable, HAPPY car.  Suggestions are hereby Solicicited.
Some
of my plans so far:

all new fuel lines + probably distributor
new injectors or at least injector seals incl cold start
as many new gaskets as possible, replace everything
   that's bulging, buckling, cracking, etc. :-)
new oxygen sensor
new fuel filter
new brake lines + testing.  can someone advise me to the benefits of
upgrading
     brake parts?  i.e. to vented rotors, or 10.1s, etc.

I really want to do the 3-gauge thing - oil temp, pressure, and
voltmeter

new suspension - firm but daily drivable - only a bit better than new
stock (yards
better than the seasoned springs on here). I'm thinking Neuspeed
sofsport but
not sure which direction to go for shocks/struts.  any suggestions,
ideas, reflections?

I was also tempted by Scott Williams' post about the fella selling the
2.0 16v
necessities.  Perhaps next year :-)

Anyhow .. I just want to take care of this car.  it's a great starting
zone to turn it
into what my last Roc should have become - it's now become my brother's
project
car, I think. :-)

cheerio,
Nathan (Marentette, who is stunned by the sudden appearance of
other Nathans on the list :-))

'84 8v
'84 8v WB (retired)