Re: Brake Pads.

Well, as said before, the front brakes are easy to replace.  If you
replace the rotors, the only potential snag is that little set screw.  If
it has been on a while it might be seized up.  If that's the case, you'll
likely have to replace them afterwards.  And if it is siezed, getting it
off will be rather difficlut...

Anyway, the rear shoes are more difficult.  If you are inclined to work
on these type of things and are willing to do some creative prying with
pliers and screwdrivers, it may be worth your time.  But remember these
three tips:  First, keep that Bently manual handy!  Second, be careful
around the brake cylinders.  I have a bad habit of slicing the boots with
the brake shoes, meaning replacement of the cylinders.  Last, pull the
drum off both rear brakes so that you can look at the other one if you
need to.

B.

'82 Scirocco (aka "Fritz")
'85 Jetta