8v timeing belt question

<x-flowed>I don't remember where I read it but somewhere I came accross a statement
saying that in one of the VW engines (late 80's 8v or 16v) can not jump time
without damaging the valves or some other internal engine parts. It said
that one did but the other didn't when the timing belt snaped. The reason I
ask is mine bit the dust and now with new belt will not start. If anyone
know sonethong about what I'm talking about would you please help me and
clarify.
TIA,

Rob