brake trouble

i'm trying to help my friend bleed the brakes on a car he recently bought,
but we are getting nowhere near a firm pedal....

the car had dodgy brreaks when he bought it.....he swapped rear discs and
10.1's on it and a 16v scirocco booster + master cylinder....all the
calipers appear to work find (clamp down on the rotor when the pedal is
depressed and are difficult to turn after doing so)......the front brakes
and master cylinder/booster came off a running car with no brake
trouble.....all lines appear to be tight (no visual leaking of
fluid)....no air is bleeding from the lines (bled them atleast 6 times
now)....but once all lines are bled, the pedal will still push to the
floor when the car is off

anyone ran into something similiar....any ideas as to where to check or
what to replace?.....how does a caliper act once it's gone bad? (all the
outer seals on all 4 calipers were intact and in good condition)...

this car had a rear axle beam proportioning valve similiar to the A2's
that had rear discs (we replaced it with a brake union and he does have
the stock 16v scirocco proportioning valves installed in the master
cylinder and one other line comign off the master cylinder

any help or insight would be appreciated
thanks

dave