Shine Racing Suspension

<x-charset iso-8859-1>After driving my brother-in-law's lowered 16V Jetta, I wonder if it is
possible to have the aesthetics of a lowered vehicle AND a compliant ride.
Especially after the demo in Bradley Peet's turbo (thanks Brad!!) on the
Portland cruise, I realized that the Bilstein Sports I have on both of my
cars might actually be as stiff as people say.

Does anyone on the list have firsthand experience with the Shine Racing
suspension (www.srsvw.com)?  Some of what they talk about in the information
part of the page applies more to the Honda crowd, but nonetheless it is
intriguing.  Exactly the opposite of autotech or Neuspeed.

My suspension experience has led me to believe that any strut with a
standard length piston will be destroyed after about two years of usage with
lowering springs since the strut "bottoms" out more frequently.  Even with
moderate (read: low key) street driving and slowing down to 1st gear for:
driveways, speed bumps, and nasty highway repair spots, I have gone through
Boge's, KYB's, and Sachs in about two years per pair.  After switching to
Bilstein Sports, due to their shortened piston I assume, I haven't had any
problems (about 4 years).  The piston on the Bilstein Sport strut is about
1.5" in diameter.  I've seen trucks with smaller pistons!  The springs were
always hor tech; they have about 150K on them now.

Any comments?

David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco
Anthracite '84 GLI