Re: 87 16V clutch cable... (longish)

<x-flowed>My apologies Ewan. I did not know you were referring to a rhd car. I have no
experience about those. Although I did look at the pics on Etka and it
showed the pedal assy to be almost identical as lhd cars. The tube is
visible in the pic. The tube I am referring to is welded to the pedal assy.
bracket and is what receives the white plastic guide that terminates the
cable sheathing. It protrudes from the firewall and the sloped grommet you
were talking about fits over the end of the tube and there is a
castellenated looking washer that hold the rubber grommet to the firewall.
all this of course applies to lhd cars.
Upon thinking about the split that you were referring to it ocurred to me
that the brake booster/master cylinder assy is not on that side of the car
that you drive from and therefore does not recieve necessary reinforcement
from said assy. Just out of curiosity is there an "L" shaped bracket that
helps reinforce this area? It would connect to the bolts that hold the pedal
assy in the car and then bend 90 degrees and bolt to the side member of the
body.
In reference to the sleeve breaking off the pedal assy and the reliability
of repairing it with a new pedal assy; I would have to say that this malady
is usually caused by operator error and abuse. Continuing to drive with a
stiff clitch cable causes the metal to fatigue and eventually break. My
first car I bought from the original owner and he had all the receipts and
there was no record of replacing this component. I got the car at 100k miles
and proceeded to put another 200k on it and never had to replace the pedal
assy.
It appears as though we had a communication problem and we were talking
about two separate failures. Once again, my apologies.

>From: "Ian Smith" <dubdubdub@hotmail.com>
>To: green536@hotmail.com, Ewan.Hopkins@computeraid.co.uk, marc@getty.net,
>Brooke@minn.net, scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: 87 16V clutch cable...
>Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 10:54:48 GMT
>
>>From: "Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com>
>>To: Ewan.Hopkins@computeraid.co.uk, marc@getty.net, green536@hotmail.com,
>>Brooke@minn.net, scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>>Subject: Re: 87 16V clutch cable...
>>Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 00:33:57 PST
>
>>No
>>offense, but dont attempt to question my posts  about repairs that i say i
>>have done 2 days ago. Take care all!
>
>Hang on a minute - why don't you take a bit more time to read what I said
>instead of giving me that patronising BS.   I never mentioned any sleeve -
>that was someone else - & I wasn't trying to suggest that the repair you
>had done was incorrect - I was just stating the facts, as far as I have
>seen them: in every case I've seen, the bulkhead was split by the stress of
>the cable sleeve bracing against it. period.  I can tell the difference
>between the bulkhead & the pedal assembly, and I'm not even a qualified
>Ford mechanic, never mind VW! Perhaps this sleeve normally braces the
>bulkhead, I don't know.  IME, the plate repair works fine, assuming you do
>it properly and presumably involves considerably less labour than replacing
>the pedal bracket.  I admit the stick-on version is really just a temporary
>fix but a propery bolted/welded repair works fine and lasts - all mine
>have.  If it is really down to a sleeve on the pedal bracket then why
>bother fixing it if it's only going to break again a few years down the
>line? And you still have to fix any split in the bulkhead regardless.
>
>One possible cause of confusion here is that I'm talking about RHD cars - i
>don't know what the differences are in the pedal assembly/cable arrangement
>but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bodge.  It's a while since I last
>looked but I don't remember any sleeve. The cable appeared to come straight
>through the bulkhead, with a sloping faced grommet on the cable sleeve end
>locating in the bulkhead hole,  and hook over the top end of the pedal.
>Looking at ETKA doesn't help much and I don't have a manual to hand so I
>can't verify what I'm saying.
>

>Ewan Hopkins.

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867