Vapour Lock....

Hi guys,

This is a scirocco related question:)
Car: 81 Scirocco S
motor: 8V

On my newly acquired Mk1, it has a hard timne starting.  In the morning, it
will start, rev for a little and die.  Unless I keep my foot on the
accelerator, it won't start.  Once it gets started, I gotta keep giving it
gas to maintain an idle otherwise the idle dips down and off she goes.
Once it gets warmed up, the idle will eventually creep its way to about
1600-1700rpms.

However, if I shut the car off and try to start it, I gotta keep the key
turned for nearly 30 seconds before it catches again.  One of my friends
told me that it's more than likely a vapour lock.  Is such the case and
where do I start looking?

TIA

Sal
81 Scirocco