Re: 87 16V clutch cable...

<x-flowed>>From: "Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com>
>To: Ewan.Hopkins@computeraid.co.uk, marc@getty.net, green536@hotmail.com,
>Brooke@minn.net, scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: 87 16V clutch cable...
>Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 00:33:57 PST

>No
>offense, but dont attempt to question my posts  about repairs that i say i
>have done 2 days ago. Take care all!

Hang on a minute - why don't you take a bit more time to read what I said
instead of giving me that patronising BS.   I never mentioned any sleeve -
that was someone else - & I wasn't trying to suggest that the repair you had
done was incorrect - I was just stating the facts, as far as I have seen
them: in every case I've seen, the bulkhead was split by the stress of the
cable sleeve bracing against it. period.  I can tell the difference between
the bulkhead & the pedal assembly, and I'm not even a qualified Ford
mechanic, never mind VW! Perhaps this sleeve normally braces the bulkhead, I
don't know.  IME, the plate repair works fine, assuming you do it properly
and presumably involves considerably less labour than replacing the pedal
bracket.  I admit the stick-on version is really just a temporary fix but a
propery bolted/welded repair works fine and lasts - all mine have.  If it is
really down to a sleeve on the pedal bracket then why bother fixing it if
it's only going to break again a few years down the line? And you still have
to fix any split in the bulkhead regardless.

One possible cause of confusion here is that I'm talking about RHD cars - i
don't know what the differences are in the pedal assembly/cable arrangement
but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bodge.  It's a while since I last
looked but I don't remember any sleeve. The cable appeared to come straight
through the bulkhead, with a sloping faced grommet on the cable sleeve end
locating in the bulkhead hole,  and hook over the top end of the pedal.
Looking at ETKA doesn't help much and I don't have a manual to hand so I
can't verify what I'm saying.

Ewan Hopkins.