Re: 87 16V clutch cable...

<x-flowed>Unfortunately your repair is very similar to the ford mechanics repair.
cover up the real problem by adding a "panel" to cover up the real problem
in this case. If you have the Etka cdrom then you would know what i'm
talking about. I would not tell you and 200 other people that i was fixing
something that could be fixed correctly if have never done it. That piece of
metal sleeving that you are referring to is  PART OF THE PEDAL ASSEMBLY and
if you were to call the stealership and inquire about this problem they
would know exactly what you were talking about. This is very common to have
this part fail. Look under your dashboard and see what I'm talking about. It
is a part that is held in with 4 13mm nuts and one clip for the brake master
link rod and you have to loosen the steering column to get thee unit out. No
offense, but dont attempt to question my posts  about repairs that i say i
have done 2 days ago. Take care all!

>From: "Ewan Hopkins" <Ewan.Hopkins@computeraid.co.uk>
>To: <marc@getty.net>,<green536@hotmail.com>,
><Brooke@minn.net>,<scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: Re: 87 16V clutch cable...
>Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 09:24:26 +0000
>
>Every manual A1 I've had (scirocco,golf,jetta)  has had a broken
>bulkhead/firewall, courtesy of the clutch cable. There's not enough
>reinforcement round the hole where the cable sleeve end goes thru the panel
>and they eventually crack under the strain. Same with all A1s - bad design.
>Never had any problems with the pedal assembly.
>
>Ewan Hopkins
><snip>
>I can attest to the fact that this is not a once in a life time occurence.
>replace at least one a month in A1's. I actually did one last week. the
>firewall does not break the pedal assy. housing is what actually breaks.
><snip>
>

>*****************************************************************************************
>This footnote confirms that this e-mail message and any files transmitted
>with it have been swept by the Computeraid IT Services Department for the
>presence of computer viruses.
>
>To find out about the Services Computeraid can offer, visit us at
>
>      www.computeraid.co.uk

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
'80 16V Rag