Re: New Scirocco List Rule Suggestions

<x-flowed>>On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 18:57:16 -0500 autofuse@richmond.infi.net writes:

> >When Herr Van  Sprewenburg determines an 'etiquette', I'll assume
> >there will be one. Until then, aint nobody able to say what happens
> >where. Besides, everything you dont like will just continue to happen
> >as it has for the last few years.

I'm not actually the list moderator, but I do have some amount of
influence.  I'd rather not force rules down anyone's throat, but there
are some definite problems with off topic posts on this list.  I mean,
there's some stuff that doesn't even have anything to do with VW's,
and that's pretty much uncalled for in my opinion.  But it's just that,
an opinion.  If we can do with the suggestion of subject tagging,
great.  Let's try it again.

>I think im probably one of the brainless few who have been on the list
>since the beginning. Actually, there were rules, mild tho they were but
>we had rules and things worked great.
>It wasn't until Kevin turned the list over that things went downhill
>pretty fast. (Not blaming anyone, just stating the facts.)

I also hate to point this this out, but I think our first attempt at
subject tagging (precipitated by some of the same activities/non-sense
were seeing here today) was done while the list was admin'd by Kevin.
The change of management made little to no difference in list content
as far as I can tell.  What has changed is many new members, and many
of the older members' tolerance levels (me included sometimes).  I use
the delete key more then ever now-a-days...which is too bad, because I
am probably missing some good stuff sometimes.  I used to read every
post, and still try to do this to some extent.

> For the most
>part the list was self governed and Kevin kept things under control. Now
>that he's not running the list, its been anarchy. When people tried to
>continue to self govern the list, they got flamed and things got worse.

Talking about this is an attempt at self governance.  I don't think a
heavy handed list moderator would be too effective at this point in
time, as things aren't as nearly out of hand as some other lists (like
the GTI-VR6 & Corrado lists) as some people have pointed out.  Things
could be much worse.  I'm a member of several other lists as well, and
the content level is still higher on the Scirocco list then one like
the A2-16v list (where they're still talking about really simple stuff
for the most part).

>So, things change. Either adapt to the way it is and accept it. Try to
>change it (Good luck)
>Or, start your own mailing list!  LOL!!
>

>              Shawn Meze

I agree, go with the flow.  Adapt, put up, make suggestions, take your
lumps like a man (or woman as it may be).  Things change, sometimes they're
better, sometimes not.  I'll stick it out (again). :)

==Brett