Re: 87 16V clutch cable...

<x-flowed>I can attest to the fact that this is not a once in a life time occurence. I
replace at least one a month in A1's. I actually did one last week. the
firewall does not break the pedal assy. housing is what actually breaks.
they are about 85$ from the dealer and are really a PITA to fix. Very common
on A1's. Sometimes the pedal assy. just cracks so just be sure to inspect it
very carefully for cracking while youre in there. GL

>From: Marc Getty <marc@getty.net>
>To: Brooke Fairbanks <Brooke@minn.net>, 	Scirocco <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: 87 16V clutch cable...
>Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 22:09:23 -0500
>
>Brooke Fairbanks wrote:
> > My clutch cable has become very grabby(not smooth) and I was wonderin'
>if I
> > can replace it with the manual adjustable vs. the auto adjustable
>cables.
> >  I believe that the pedal ends are slightly different...   True?
>
>Check where the clutch cable goes through the firewall, it may be getting
>"grabby" there. Of the four times that my Jetta broke down in it's 50,000
>mile
>stay with me, once was because of the firewall.
>
>I was driving along in the dead of night in central nowhere when the small
>steel gromit that holds the clutch cable secure as it passes through the
>firewall decided to break. Now this is a once in a lifetime occurrence! The
>clutch cable did not break, part of the firewall broke. I had to have the
>small steel gromit welded back onto the firewall in order to get the clutch
>cable to function properly again.
>
>This really says something for the reliability of volkswagens, they just
>keep
>going and going, so long that the firewall breaks due to metal fatigue
>before
>the car rusts out or the engine dies.
>
>-Marc
>
>'74 VW Thing For Sale: http://getty.net/thing/ http://vwthing.org
>'81 VW Jetta Diesel gone to the scrap heap after 178,000 miles
>'84 VW Jetta GLi was SOLD in Oct 99 with only 164,275 miles to NJ
>'87 VW Scirocco Tornado Red 16V with 167,500 Miles, got it on 7/2/99
>
>--

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
'80 16V Rag