87 16V clutch cable...

Brooke Fairbanks wrote:
> My clutch cable has become very grabby(not smooth) and I was wonderin' if I
> can replace it with the manual adjustable vs. the auto adjustable cables.
>  I believe that the pedal ends are slightly different...   True?

Check where the clutch cable goes through the firewall, it may be getting
"grabby" there. Of the four times that my Jetta broke down in it's 50,000 mile
stay with me, once was because of the firewall.

I was driving along in the dead of night in central nowhere when the small
steel gromit that holds the clutch cable secure as it passes through the
firewall decided to break. Now this is a once in a lifetime occurrence! The
clutch cable did not break, part of the firewall broke. I had to have the
small steel gromit welded back onto the firewall in order to get the clutch
cable to function properly again.

This really says something for the reliability of volkswagens, they just keep
going and going, so long that the firewall breaks due to metal fatigue before
the car rusts out or the engine dies.

-Marc

'74 VW Thing For Sale: http://getty.net/thing/ http://vwthing.org
'81 VW Jetta Diesel gone to the scrap heap after 178,000 miles
'84 VW Jetta GLi was SOLD in Oct 99 with only 164,275 miles to NJ
'87 VW Scirocco Tornado Red 16V with 167,500 Miles, got it on 7/2/99