Re: New Air Dam Install tips needed pls

In a message dated 5/31/99 12:19:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
andreb@maxwell.ee.washington.edu writes:

>   That would be me!  =p  I found the plugs in a auto body supply
>  store.  I cant remember the exact name of the plug, but it is basically
>  a plug with a quarter inch shaft with black fins on it that make it so
>  once you press it into a hole, its tuff to take it back out.  ER, wait,
>  found the bag for the plugs!  Facia retainers for 3/16" hole, Ford
>  803170.
>  If you dont find that exact one, look for Facia retainers.  I am
>  guessing
>  its the style of the plug.  HTH!

I know what these are.  If you look at these type of fasteners from the side
they look like christmas trees.  A point at the top and then fins that come
down the sides.  You can find them at places like Kragen's.  They're used on
american cars to hold the interior upholstery panels on to the sheetmetal.
They aren't really made for many on/off applications.  I was thinking in this
application it won't be very tight and that would cause the airdam to rub on
the body.   I wonder if just a plastic screw and nut of some sort would work?

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
<A HREF="http://member.aol.com/sailingfc/">http://member.aol.com/sailingfc/