Fuel pump noises(?)

Can anyone tell me if the fuel pump on a MK1 Storm should make an audible
noise when it primes the system? Sounds like a daft question I know, but I
believe that mine has packed up and it was suggested to me by a mechanic,
that when the ignition is switched on you should be able to hear the pump
pressurise the fuel system......? My car was laid up for two years until a
couple of months ago and I don't recall it ever making that noise, but prior
to refusing to work at all the car kept stalling when the engine was hot.

Any suggestions gratefully received, (I am holding off on spending the £160
on a replacement).

Thanks,

Keith.