RE: quick tire survey

At 01:58 PM 5/27/99 , Jared Erlandson wrote:
>I'm with Aaron.  I have used the Yok A509's and was impressed in dry
>weather. But  I live in Seattle, so they just didn't cut the wet. I now
>have the Potenza RE71's (discontinued but Tire Rack has a ton of em)
>which are in my opinion just as good dry as the A509's but 100% better
>wet.  I like the RE71's quite a bit.
>
>Jared

WHAT!? NO!!!!! They can't discontinue the RE71!! Bastards!!  Good thing I
just got a new set of them on my Scirocco... 195/50-15s.  Love em.

Anyways, back to the original quesiton-- since Victor was asking about the
M+S, I am assuming he wants an all-season tire... The RE71 is an incredible
performance tire, it's all-around great great great... but it's not an
all-season tire, and it's worthless in the snow.

I use Potenza RE930s on all my cars for all-season tires.  They're the
highest rated high-performance all-season tire around... Great handling
(esp for a M+S tire), and they're _great_ in the rain.  Snow performance is
okay, nothing to write home about, as with just about every other
non-dedicated snow tire.

I've had these tires on every car I've owned --including my current 2-- and
have currently 6 friends whose cars are wearing them... and all of us swear
we'll never use a different all-season tire.

I have my last set on my teardrops in the garage with about 26,000 miles on
them.  They just passed inspection without a problem, but about another 5k
and they'll be slicks.  Mind you I drive like a nut, and they survived an
auto-x school with 8 hours of abuse.  Friends with them have gotten
anywhere from 28k to 45k out of a set.  They have a 40,000 mile (I think)
treadwear warranty.

Best thing about them?  Price.  I just picked up a set for the Mercedes
from the tire rack and paid $52 a piece.

Go check em out.

Jason