[tech] Cold Running Problem

Hey everyone.  I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem with
my 86 Scirocco 16v.   Here's the problem:
  I turn the key and the car starts (fires pretty good) but then almost
immediately dies....this is only the case when the engine is cold.  Ok,
so I try to start it again and it fires but then dies again.  Once I turn
the key and it fires, I just give it some gas and hold the idle at about
1500 rpm's for about a minute and then it will idle on its own...only
at a very low idle.  Then if I drive and give it a little too much gas, it
will mis-fire/hesitate.  While the engine is still cold the idle will just
barely hang on....almost ready to stall.  I just have to usually sit and
let it warm up for a few minutes and then once the engine warms up
the idle stays very solid and is fine.  And once
the engine is warm I will have no problems at all....starting or idle or
anything.  Hmmm....here are things that I've checked (with the help
of the Bently, of course!)....
   The cold start valve is working along with the thermotime switch.
The coolant temp. switch was just replaced.
So, basically, the car runs great....only when cold it has idle and
running problems but still starts fine.....any ideas.  I've tried all that
I know and can't seem to find any other possibilities.
Any thoughts are always appreciated...
TIA