Re: My New Car Died! Yikes!

> That's me you're talking about. And the name is Swedish (close enough). I
> also only get mail at work, so I just got your post. I'm a little busy
> this week, but if it's an emergency (i.e. no other mode of transport) I
> could try to squeeze you in.

Yep, that's you!  And yep, it's my only mode of transport.  I was
worried that I couldn't get any help, and I was also worried that it
took my girlfriend and I over three hours to remove the old fuel pump,
so I had my car towed to a European car repair place not too far from
home.

We changed the fuel filter, and tried starting the car a few times and
then removed the filter to find that it was bone dry still.  We both
thought then that it must be the fuel pump!  What a mess that was to
remove.  We both think that it must be the fuel pump cause once we
finally got the hose off the pump (the side that it pumps to, as opposed
to the pump 'in') only a little bit of gas came out.  And just to add
insult to injury, once we got the old pump off (at 8:15 last night), we
found that the Pep Boys one we bought (non-Bosch but it was all they had
and we thought we could do it) was wrong!  So I have to return it
today.  I don't mind walking three miles, but damn does that suck!

One note that makes me worry slightly less (I'm a perpetual worrier...)
is that the guy at the repair shop asked me what pump replacement I
bought, and I told him "a no-name brand for US$ 116" and he vehemently
replied 'no! I don't put no-name parts in the cars I work on.  It's
Bosch or nothing!'  That's cool....

> So let me get this straight. The tow truck dude sprayed starting fluid
> into the intake (or somewhere along the way) and it would run? If he
> stopped spraying would it die? If so then it definitely sounds like a
> fuel problem to me. Without a fuel pressure gauge it will be hard to
> tell exactly where the source of the problem is.

You've got it exactly right.  He sprayed it in the big black cylindrical
thing that goes to the intake.  Another thing: we were totally afraid to
bridge the relay or whatever you call it.  It this a safe thing to do?
Do I need a special wire or can I cannibalize my home speaker system and
get a couple of inches of wire?  If I do it wrong will the car explode?
;-)

> ya didn't run outta gas didja? (kidding, but it's happened before)

Definitely didn't.  I was almost bone dry on oil, but the car started
with the starting fluid so *whew* I didn't seize the engine!

> in any case, I'd be happy to help out.

I'll still need your help with my door latch thingie.  I went to the
Mowry Pick-n-Pull and saw a couple of Scirocco's that looked like they
had the same door latch parts.  I'm afraid to take off my door panel
though!  Once the car actually runs, that'll be my next project.

All the best,
-Norm