Re: Import Drag racing YUCK!

You know, I'm actually starting to kinda get  into the import drag scene. Well, maybe not the *scene* it itself with all the rice culture n' stuff. But, the actual raw competition is just as real as any other motorsport. No, the following might not be as cultured or sophisticated as the gentlemen in say, the Porsche Club of America or whatever, but... You know what? Those guys are largely uptight patrician assholes.

The low-brow import drag kids might have an appreciation for laughable aesthetics, but they *are* dedicated to speed, nonetheless. It doesn't matter whether they drive Honda crap or not. Their cars are doing the 1320 in close to nine seconds now. The drag racing old guard -i.e. piss water beer swilling, pot bellied, big block hemi, sub-NASCAR mentality, etc. -is getting nervous about all this high tech stuff. FIGHT THE POWER! Fight the large cubic inch corporate power structure!!! Raise those fists and... ahem... 'scuse me... ;^)

Someone will make the point that it is now just the barrio boyz verses the trailer trash, but whatever. I love everybody.

But I say it is all great and it is just the thing to keep motorsports on the minds of the general populace. Infuse a dose youth culture into the mix to keep it all progressive, bring the average drag car back down to drive to work on monday status, create new manufacturer rivalries like Honda vs. Mitsubishi, and you've got lots more fun then what we've seen in the past.

> You might be amazed at some of the stuff you could see.  There is
> currently at least one Nissan Skyline GTR on the Import Drag circuit right now > that has 1000hp and will run in mid 8 second 1/4 miles.  There is a Twin Turbo
> 911 that will pull the front tires off of the ground in the first 3 gears
> thru the 1/4 at a trap speed of over 150mph.
Yeah, great point! I actually saw that 911 do his thing a few weeks ago. HOLY SHIZNIT!!! That thing was just outta hand. He spun the car out about half way down the track and gathered it up at over 80mph! Dizamn....
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut