Re: firing order.

The Hall Sender repair kit can be found around for about $50. Taking the
Dist out is no big deal, a single bolt holds it in. Lining the engine up
so that Cyl One is at Top Dead Center ( and the car won't be moved while
the dist is out) then you can plop it back in with out needing to retime
the engine. BTW- It doesn't _have_ to be at TDC but it helps to point
the rotor at the #1 position on the dist. One last thing- the gears on
the bottom of the Dist. are cut at an angle, slipping it back in will
cause it to rotate right at the point it settles in, take this into
account when 1st aligning it.

Fixing the wires might get you by but don't be surprised if they won't
pass enough signal to  work correctly. Grabbing a used Dist from a yard
is what I did when my own wires got crispy and brittle. Rode around with
it not quite dialed in until I took it into the shop.

Go for it, it's easier than you might think.

hth,
TBerk

PS- General tune up tip: Swap the plug wires from old cap to new, one
wire at a time.