RE: Grinding, Scrapping noise on hard left hand turn what causes

Matt,

I would bet on either of the things you said, or also the tires rubbing.
If you checked the inner fender like Mark suggested and didn't see any
sign of tire rubbing, then I'd guess wheel bearing.

My GF's 86 jetta had a wheel bearing die with very similar symptoms as
yours. She had complained of noises for a week, and I checked it on the
highway: Nothing, no noise.  Then I took some right turns and there was
some hint of vibration and noise. Then I took it to a parking lot and
turned the wheel all the way,  and there it was!! The nastiest grinding
you'd ever hear.

When I jacked up the front, the wheel could be wiggled. and the bolts
were all tight.

Jack up your car, if the wheel can be wiggled at all then it's the
bearing.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco