Re: airbox chopping

>> Does all this airbox chopping apply to 8V as well as 16V
>> engines? I've just
>> got a stock 1.8 Scala. Is any of this pointless without
>> new K&N airfilters
>> (what kind?) or exhausts, apart from the sound which
>> admittedly seems a
>> good enough reason! What happens to your fuel economy?
>
>Yes, it is equally applicable to 8v and 16v cars.  I have
>never really noticed much difference in performance with
>the airbox being drilled, (and both cars that have drilled
>boxes have K&N filters / performance exhausts)  but it
>makes a nice throaty sound - so that's reason enough for
>me.  :)  I only know about the fuel injection models...
>not sure of the effect with carbs.  (But the Scalas were
>all injected right?)
>
>Go for it!

My scala is a carb model, which does make me wonder about the effect this
has on the mixture etc. Presumably the carb is sucking more air in but
without changing the jets or something won't it just run lean? What does
the k&N filter do, are they straight replacements for the paper one that
comes as standard?

I'm still trying to find out what the strange intermittant rumbling that
comes from the drivers side is though, which has to take priority. I'm
beginning to wonder if it's more than one thing at the same time. It
happens at low revs especially when pulling away or changing into 3rd but
also if I go over a crappy bit of road with the drivers  side wheel. I
changed the discs and pads, next thing is checking the wheel bearings. I
was thinking as it's quite old (106K) that strange noises are par for the
course, but if they'll do 250K+ it would be better sorted out!

BTW, the 16V does about 125mph, about what should the 8V do?

Shame you're in Scotland Lindsay, it's a bit far from Nottingham for a day
trip, I might be up for the Edinburgh festival though...hmm.

take it easy, SPat