Re: please educate me

Stress bar = generic term for anything that strengthens the structure of the car,
usually a bolt-on part. Common ones on A1 chassis VW's (Sciroccos, Rabbits,
Cabriolets, and first-generation Jettas... oh yes and pickups) are 1) a front
upper stressbar, tying the tops of the front strut towers together to limit flex.
2) A front lower stressbar (16v Sciroccos have them stock) tying the front lower
control arm mounting points together and 3) a rear stressbar, tying the tops of
the rear shock towers together.
A sway bar (anti-sway bar, anti-roll bar) attaches to the frame in the middle and
to the suspension on either side, and hmm.. how do I explain this, keeps one side
of the suspension from compressing more than the other side, effectively limiting
body roll. The bigger the bar, the more the limiting effect, and the less
independent your suspension is.
A tie rod is part of the steering mechanism, between the rack and the hubs.
A subframe is something like a front lower stressbar - it stiffens the chassis and
is typically like a 4-point stressbar, sorta. A2 chassis VW's have them stock -
big honking ones, that have the trans mount and the steering rack mounted right on
them.
    HTH!
    -Josiah