speedo cable type?

This may have gone around before, but I wasn't paying any attention.  :-)

What type of cable go with which kinds of trannies?

I have so far seen 2 different types of cables one with red gears and one
with white. I counted teeth and the red had 15 and the white had 16 ( I
think, maybe vice versa) I assume that each kind goes with a different
final drive ratio tranny, and that the one with 16 teeth is for the
closer ratio trannies. Is this right?

I wanna be sure, cause I picked up a 86 GTi with a dead clutch for $750.
(for my brother) Turns out to be a beat-to-the-ground car, but still OK.
Anyway, it has a 9A taranny and the speedo cable had red gears, but they
were all chewed up. Using the rationale from above it seems to me that
the close ratio tranny should have the cable with white gears. I'd like
to be sure for the replacement.

Could someone also repost the URL for the RPM-speed calculator. It has a
cool chart that shows all the ratios for most VW trannies. Thanks!

Jonas
85 Scirocco