Re: Petrol or Unleaded?

Ewan
Have you tried a Ford spark delay unit in your vacuum advance line as fitted
to some Escorts and Sierras as this may reduce your pinking when opening the
throttle with a warm engine?

My GTX has K-Jetronic injection and a DX code engine.

I am set up at 6 deg BTDC. I have run on unleaded for approximately 2000
miles with no pinking. On my second tank of unleaded I got nervous about the
set-up and reset to 3 deg BTDC and the engine ran poorly with a lot of
vibration. So I returned to 6 deg BTDC and was happy again. But I got
concerned again for no good reason and got 4 star at the next fill up. Now
it might be my imagination but power appeared to be down with the 4 star
compared to unleaded at 6 deg BTDC! So since I have used unleaded at 6 deg
BTDC. As you say all engines are different but unless 4 star has been
downgraded prior to its departure I cant figure it out. When I was using 4
star all the time I tried advancing the timing a few degrees but got pinking
under load.

I have noted that where the distributor vacuum advance unit connects to the
rear of inlet manifold the vacuum has a lot less suck than the other vacuum
connectors do. I notice that most change in the advance is from the
mechanical advance when using the strobe disconnecting and connecting the
vacuum advance makes little difference.  The distributor vacuum advance unit
is airtight i.e. not leaking.  This minimal vacuum advance may explain my
lack of pinking.

What is your understanding of how the k-star ignition module works and why
change the coil and ignition leads?

Adding knock sensors in my opinion is properly the best way to use low
octane fuel to the best.

Dave