Re: Audi TT flame _non rocco_

>225bhp, Quattro and... weighs how much? Like 3500lbs? at least?

The 2wd TT weighs 2655 lbs. Thus even a 200hp Scirocco may be in for a
bit of a surprise when it meets the 225/Q. The 225/Q TT will weigh a
little more but the power to weight ratio will be improved over the
180hp version.  The 6-speed reported to come with the 225/Q will
improve performance if the ratios have been properly chosen.

>Maybe talk to Dale Witt about his Scirocco, which I believe has about
>200bhp, no?

It's certainly possible.

>... and weighs probably about 2500lbs.

... and has been lightened from stock.

>But still, weight is a big factor.

And the stock TT and stock 'rocco are ball-park close.

>I'm sure that a properly done up Scirocco could beat a TT, even the
>225bhp Quattro.

Apples and oranges. A "properly done up" TT could likely beat quite a
bit of stock iron that it wouldn't beat otherwise.

>And on the AutoX course, heck I bet my old '84 Rabbit GTI could beat
>the TT. It's all about weight.

That's a bit of an over-simplification. Given two cars that are in the
same weight class distribution of weight and power to weight ratio are
primary weight-based factors.

>And all that extra weight does do some good things, like for chassis
>stiffness and robustness.

As noted above the TT is not the fat pig you reported. And it has
quite a bit if structural rigidity since the chassis was designed to
accommodate the roadster version without additional chassis elements.

Enough non-rocco talk though. I'm sure we'll get first hand reports on
'rocco vs. TT once a few of the later hit the streets. The rest, other
than pure facts about the car, is pontification - fun, but proves
nothing.

-- David Chamberland
   95 GTI VR6 (Stock and in dire need...)
   88 16V Scirocco (Not even close to stock)
   88 16V Scirocco (May she rest in piece...)