Engine identification problem

Hello all - New to this mailinglist. I am working
on a 1977 MK1 - Its got no VIN plate but the
original registration papers says August 77
and the engine code is JB 073-273.
There is another number on the cylinderblock
as well 049.103.373
The papers does not say anything about the
model type (L, LS, GL etc) . It was originally
without rev. counter in the dashboard, but it has
the 4 round headlights. Think its an LS model
but i dont know whether the TS was fitted
with rev. counter.
I've been doing a lot of research on the net
but not one single Scirocco or other water-
cooled vw site seems to list this particular
engine - There's a whole lot of other engine codes
around but just not the JB code.
Its a carburator model and the rocker cover says
1.6 but this is not very usefull as (AFAIK) it wil say
that for 1.5 to 1.7  engines as well.
Anyway i THINK its an 1.5 engine but not sure
in any way - So if anybody could help me with
some more info about this JB engine (HP,
compression etc) it will be highly appreciated.

(The car has been stripped - rebuild/painted
and should be ready for the road in a month
-hopefully...)

Regards

Erik Dalby Christensen-  Copenhagen Denmark