Re: Petrol or Unleaded?

Gary Meakin <gary@basstudio.demon.co.uk>Wrote:

>Hi Dave
>
>I am not sure what type of Scirocco to buy really. I like the GTII but I
>would quite like to have the extra power from the fuel injected models. I
>don`t know as i all depends whats for sale at the time I can buy.
>
>The reason I asked about the fuel type is that my Parker's guide says that
>all Scirocco's take 4-Star but I was fairly sure that they would run fine
on
>unleaded.
>
>Thanks
>Gary

Hi Gary

When you look at a Scirocco for sell check the engine number it is on the
alternator side of the cylinder block at the front just below the cylinder
head and will have the engine code as the first two letters of the engine
number. This code is also part of the vehicle data sticker in the rear
luggage compartment.

The "Haynes" manual "VW Scirocco 1982 to 1990" states all UK-market
Sciroccos covered by this manual will run on unleaded fuel, though some will
need some do need the ignition retarded. VAG's recommendations are as
follows:"

Engine Code    Premium unleaded (95 RON)
JB                            No Adjustment
FR                            No Adjustment
EW                            No Adjustment
EG                            Retard by 6 Degrees
EX                            Retard by 4 Degrees
DX                            Retard by 6 Degrees

By the way I have had over 20 cars many bought new from various manufactures
and my 12 year old Scirocco GTX injected is my favourite to date. This is
helped by when I bought her she had one owner and a full service history.