Re: COPS ARE COOL!! My own story/rant. (Long, so what.)

On Sat, 8 May 1999 20:22:41 -0700 (PDT) Cory Fonger <scirocc09@yahoo.com>
writes:

>i dont want any flames or "THEY SUCK"'s. i got pulled over the other
>day, i was going 65 in a 40. the cop just let me go.
>
>THERE IS A GOD!!!
>
>~cory

Every once in a while you come across a cool cop. Its rare however.

So do tell, what were the circumstances? How was your demeanor?
Did he say why he let you go? Did he leave in a hurry?

My most recent story.
I got stopped a couple weeks ago. I knew I hadn't broken any laws and
since the officer who stopped me was a young guy, I knew he was pounding
sand pretty hard before he saw me.
Stops me with a cover unit in tow. Whatever. Waits for a third unit to
arrive. Whatever. Approaches my door, and immediately asked me if I knew
why he stopped me. Being me, I said "no, but im sure your gonna tell me".

He pulled out one of the oldest laws in the books, says I have a modified
exhaust and complains that my exhaust was too loud. According to CA
vehicle codes, you may not alter the factory exhaust system in any way.
Technically, if you have the exhaust system repaired at any repair shop
other than the authorized VW shop (read DEALER), you are now in violation
of this law. Its a loophole that many car owners have fallen victim to
unless you know how to reverify the system. I told him that since I
autocrossed at the stadium the day before, there is a strict noise
enforcement of 93db. Since my car made 3 runs and was well below the
legal limit, my exhaust system was legal.

He didn't have a comeback for that. Suddenly he wants to know what the
gauge in my passenger seat is.
"Why that s a tire pressure gauge officer. I use it to check the air
pressure in my race tires when I race at the stadium". (Pulled it out and
handed it to him.)

He didn't let me finish talking before he was asking me about the switch
on my dash. "You got NOS? Lots of kids use those kind of buttons to use
with NOS".

"I said do I look like a kid"? (Flipped on my headlight switch to the
parking lamp position) and said "hold onto your ears while I flip this
switch". (Driving lights turned on and said.) that s my driving light
switch. Nope, dont use NOS, its not legal in DSP.

By now the 3rd back up unit leaves.

Then I offer up to open my hood. Care to see what's under the hood
officer?

"Why sure, lets do that" replies officer knowitall.

So after 45 minutes of him asking all kinds of questions in the form of a
circle and physically pointing out all of my CARB stickers for the items
I have on the car (NOLOGY, K&N) he resorts to running my tags and drivers
license. "Is your drivers license suspended"??

"Uh, no officer or I wouldn't be driving. Do me a favor and check it for
me in case I missed a court date or something".

"I'll be sure to do that". (Like I knew he would.)

Naturally, he runs everything, walks back and hands all of my stuff back
and says, "apparently everything is in order. (Looks to the other
officer) do you have anything you want to hold him for"?

Other officer looks at him like he's a total dick and says, "No, I got
things to do" and walks back to his car and drives off.

Technically he could of written me up for that little law. I think that
since I knew so much about the vehicle codes (Previous occupation helped
me there.) that he knew I would of gotten the ticket dismissed in court.
He was a dick, the other 2 cops were much older and were very cool about
the whole thing. Ego's suck when massive and attached to a young cop.

I asked him why is it every HD motorcycle that drives by shakes the shit
out of my house yet MY exhaust is too loud? He grinned and left, I went
back to work.

On a side note, I was counting on him not wanting to get down on his $300
pants to look under my car to see my cat. (No cat, a test pip lives there
now...)
Thn he could of given me a ticket for a modified exhaust.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and