Re: Scirocco Frame

>Is the frame of the scirocco one piece?  I received official word
>that the crack on my frame (next to the base of the control arm) can
>not be legally repaired because of safety regulations.  I was told I
>need a "complete left side frame unit"......

This is a common place where the sub-frame will crack.  This is a
weak spot that a bunch of heavy duty autocrossers will crack the
unibody because of the extra stress the sticky rubber causes on the
old bodies.

We have had great success welding the cracks, and then welding a
plate over the cracked area.  After you have it fixed, get a lower
stress bar to help support the area.  I like the Neuspeed lower bar
(but I don't want to start a flame war about whose bar is better).

If your shop is insisting on making you pay to replace the entire
subframe assembly, I would recommend trying another shop.  If you are
near Philadelphia, let me know, I can suggest several shops.

HTH, and good luck.
Ken Buck
1999 Philadelphia Region SCCA RE
78 DSP VW Scirocco- regional champ 94, 95, 97, 98
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
"1997 Rookie of the Year" Linda's Speedway(retired in 1998, but back in 99!!)
84 Scirocco daily driver 216,000 miles and still screaming
66 Olds F-85, second owner, second set of tires.