Re: tranny prob and changing fluid

On Tue, 4 May 1999 22:21:31 -0400 "Rich Zuk" <emt@imcnyc.com> writes:

>Is this the best way to do it?

>Someone told me to open the bottom plug to let it drain.
>open the side plug.
>pull out the cable from the top.
>pour in the new fluid from the top and stop pouring when it spills out
>the side.
>then close it all up.

Thats how I do it. Just be sure to allow some time to pass before closing
the tranny up and filling it up. (Meaning, let it drain for a long time.)
Then close up the bottom plug and start filling. Should take 2.1 quarts.
:)

>they even said I have an option.  when the old fluid comes out.  spray
>a can of brake cleaner in there and let it completely drip out, then
>pour in the new stuff.
>Is this the way to do it?

I wouldnt do this. Just let the tranny drain after you've driven the car.
Any particles will be  mobilized in the fluid and should drain out. You
wont get all of the contamination out of the tranny but enough will come
out for it to not matter whats left inside.
If you feel the need to flush the tranny out, use fresh tranny fluid and
allow it to drain.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and