Re: 2.0L 16V with cis-e?

---Kris Rayner <veritech@fix.net> wrote:

> How well does CIS-E support the upgrade to a 2.0L bottom end?

Seems to be working so far... :)

> I finally got around to my 16V motor.  I'm tearing it down and going
> to start getting it ready for rebuild and began wondering...I have all
> of the CIS-E electronics and wiring.

Good enough. If you don't especially want the hassle, don't do it.

> The chances of me finding
> another car with motronic and being able to afford it at this point is
> slim.  Other than being chip-able, does Motronic make that big of a
> difference in the performance of the 16V engine?

Not especially, and I have personally experience with both.  There's
fewer knobs I can twist on our 2L 16v Motronic Passat.  The CIS-E
seems to be working quite well, and it's a little bit simpler to
trouble shoot.  (fewer wires, fewer sensors).  It just lacks
programability, so you give that up.  An enrichment box is probably
half (or more) as good as a Motronic chip.  How much more work do you
want?

> Sure it would be
> nice to use motornic instead of CIS-E, but would it really be
> practicle at this point when I already have everything I need to do
> the CIS-E 16V swap, to try and find everything I need to use
> motronic?

Speaking from recent expience, no.  You have not yet begun to spend, and
the added hassle of the motronic swap will probably fry your brain. :)

Well, maybe not, but it would have fried mine during my marathon engine
installation session...

==Brett