Re: could have had an 8V?

On Mon, 3 May 1999 20:08:27 EDT Farmracer@aol.com writes:
>I have one :)
>
>however:
>I am getting my butt kicked on the local auto-x scene here- need to
>get some more power out of my car but stay ES legal. suggestions?

FWIW, Ive been an autox driving instructor for about 4 year now and for
the most part, the driver is usually the most prone for improvement than
the car.
I don't know what your skill level is so I can really say that this
advice will be of use to you or not but if you get the chance to, take
the local autox schools and see what happens.

>I have plans for a K&N, and have bumped the timing a bit....
>I have the handling thing down (bilsteins in front, tokicos in rear,
autotech
>bar, BFG R-1's, custom alignment) and techtonics exhaust. need more
>power!!!

In my most humble of setup opinions, I don't think your car is set up to
its max potential. Im a tried and true Koni owner/user and think this
shock IS the best shock to use for ES.
Bilsteins are way too stiff for use up front but what really matters is
how does the car handle as it is? --- Understeer, oversteer or is it
neutral?

Probably the biggest problems is your running an 8V in ES. Its not the
optimum choice VW for autoxing in that class. The 16V Scirocco or 16V GTi
would be a more competitive car in ES. Why not move up to DSP?? Chances
are better for you to be competitive in DSP with your car.

With the stock rules are they are, there's not much you can do to gain
more power baring an engine rebuild to the "limit if the rules".

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and