Valve job

Ohhhhh! Troubles! I just dumped well over a grand into tires, rims,
radiator, timing belt, fan belts, etc. And thought man, now this car is
almost all new! Then I started to see smoke. I took it into my
semi-trusted mechanic of strictly european autos and he said it won't
pass emisions. He couldn't for the life of him bring down the CO levels.
Said its blow by and I probably need a valve job. Could this be anything
else? Compression is excellent in all cylinders. Car always has gotten
full synthetic lubes regularly. Also if anyone has done a valve job how
much in parts am I looking at and what else should I do while I'm in
there. Car has 150,000 miles. And how hard is it to do? I am pretty
competent on most repairs but have never got inside this motor except
timing belt change. Should I have said mechanic do it? Remember now I am
broke. Help!

Feenix
88 16V, too much to list, not enough to sell!