Exhaust mani. removal (Re: Install tips needed (header and sway bars))

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 4:37 AM, Owen <mailto:mr.peepers@home.com> wrote:
>The only thing worse
>>than twisting a stud off is rounding the nut off.  Shouldn't happen
though,
>>since the head is aluminum after all.
>

>Well it happend, rounded one of the damn nuts off, and of course it's the
>hardest one to get at.  Man, ramoving this manifold is definitely the
>biggest ass pain i've ever encountered!!

Yeah, I feel for you. I am currently attempting to remove the exhaust
manifold on my '86 8v, and it is pretty much sucking. I have 3 studs
completely out, 1 broken off in the head, and 1 nut that actually seperated
from the stud. The stud that broke didn't have that sickening, buttery
bolt-breaking feeling so I'm guessing it was already like that. If it turns
out to be the only one, I'm seriously considering a dab of JB Weld upon
installation. What remains is one completely rounded nut on the bottom and
the two middle tops. I have so far avoided removing the intake and would
like to keep it that way, especially since my metric hex key set skips the
7mm that is apparently required.

My big problem, while the lower nut soaks in liquid wrench (further
hastening its decay, I'm sure), is that I can't seem to get a 12mm socket
on the upper nuts. I can get it on the top rounded part, but it doesn't
want to go all the way down on the nut. Looking at the "new" manifold
(actually 6 years older than the current), it doesn't seem like anything
should be in the way. Is it necessary to remove the intake or is there some
sort of trick involved? I was also wondering if stainless and aluminum
reacted since I'll be buying new studs.

 I can't wait to see the difference of the dual-outlet manifold/full
techtonics exhaust over my hung by steel wire 200k+? mile tube o' rust, but
man, what a pain in the ass!

scott

'86 Scirocco 8v