RE: Plate speakers

I mounted the tweeters.... well, I'll have to look, but
I think they are at the first flat spot on the corner
of the door-panel towards the dash (kinda by the remote
for the mirrors) - about 6 in from the end & 3-4 in
down.   When you pull the dash off, you have to look
for at least 1" of clearance between the door panel &
door metal up there...

Tell ya what, I'll have access to a digi-cam this
weekend, so I will do a write up & tear my door apart &
take some pix & post them on my web-page this weekend
(gotta study & work & stuff during the week - tests
suck).  It really is simple... The first door I took a
hack-saw to, but I realized that I didnt need to.  You
might be able to get by just bending the metal back
without any cutting at all.  I meant to do this when I
actually installed them, but I got all excited that I
was almost done, and couldn't wait for the camera :)

TTYL
Mark

--- Neal Tovsen <ntovsen@piper.hamline.edu> wrote:
> Man, sign me up! If it's as simple as you say,
PLEASE
> post the instructions!
> I'm not worried about bass, since I have a 10" sub
in

3
> > options w/ speakers)  They are 50$/set thru
> > Crutchfield.  I don't know how they would sound in
> the
> > front, but they are pretty sweet in the back.
That
> &
> > the versatility of mounting options is a plus...
> >
> > Also, 5.5" components in the front are SchWEET -
no
> > kick panels needed.   When I installed mine the
> first
> > one took around 4 hours of fiddle-farting around
> get
> > it in, and the 2nd door took about 40minutes.  I
> really
> > need to post some pix of it, because it isn't hard
> at
> > all - you only need to snip a little door metal
> > (nothing vital), and it looks almost stock
> (especially
> > if you get cool 'ol flush-mount tweeters).  But,
as
> > with almost any door speakers, you won't get the
> bass
> > outta da front that you will on the back shelf...
> > Total tools needed - 1 phillips screwdriver, 1
> > box-cutter, 1 set of tin-snips/nibblers.
> >
> > If'n you decide to do that, I can send you some
> lynx to
> >  sites with pix, and answer any ??s you might
> have...
> >

> > --- Neal Tovsen <ntovsen@piper.hamline.edu> wrote:
> > > OK. Next order of business:
> > >
> > > How do you fit plate speakers into the car?
> > > Especially in the front. I know
> > > we've talked about putting 6x9" in the back
deck,
> > but
> > > I don't want to hack
> > > it up. I have some good quality Boston
Accoustics
> > > 4x6" in the rear, but the
> > > magnet was too deep to fit them into the doors.
> The
> > > "euro" spec 4x6 speakers
> > > are much smaller than the "normal" 4x6, and
there
> > > isn't enough room for the
> > > surrounding frame of a normal 4x6 or a
> plate-mount
> > in
> > > the door. I currently
> > > still have the stock speakers in front, but they
> > > don't quite keep up with
> > > the BAs and my 10" sub in back (duh). I'd love
> > get
> > > a component kit with
> > > 6" mids, but I got quoted $350 for custom kick
> > panels
> > > (and that's WITHOUT
> > > the speakers!). Ugh.
> > >
> > > Anybody know of *good* speakers I can install in
> the
> > > front with little or no
> > > modification?
> > >
> > > Neal

4x6s,
> > but
get
> > the
> > > Pioneer Premier
> > > tweeter.
> > >

> > > --
> > > If you experience other problems, email:
> > > scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org
> > >

> > ===
> > Mark
> >
> > 87 Westfalia Gl