Re: Plate speakers

Blaupunkt makes some decent PCX 4.6 with euro &
american mounting plates (or no mounting plates - 3
options w/ speakers)  They are 50$/set thru
Crutchfield.  I don't know how they would sound in the
front, but they are pretty sweet in the back.  That &
the versatility of mounting options is a plus...

Also, 5.5" components in the front are SchWEET - no
kick panels needed.   When I installed mine the first
one took around 4 hours of fiddle-farting around to get
it in, and the 2nd door took about 40minutes.  I really
need to post some pix of it, because it isn't hard at
all - you only need to snip a little door metal
(nothing vital), and it looks almost stock (especially
if you get cool 'ol flush-mount tweeters).  But, as
with almost any door speakers, you won't get the bass
outta da front that you will on the back shelf...
Total tools needed - 1 phillips screwdriver, 1
box-cutter, 1 set of tin-snips/nibblers.

If'n you decide to do that, I can send you some lynx to
 sites with pix, and answer any ??s you might have...

--- Neal Tovsen <ntovsen@piper.hamline.edu> wrote:
> OK. Next order of business:
>
> How do you fit plate speakers into the car?
> Especially in the front. I know
> we've talked about putting 6x9" in the back deck,
but
> I don't want to hack
> it up. I have some good quality Boston Accoustics
> 4x6" in the rear, but the
> magnet was too deep to fit them into the doors. The
> "euro" spec 4x6 speakers
> are much smaller than the "normal" 4x6, and there
> isn't enough room for the
> surrounding frame of a normal 4x6 or a plate-mount
in
> the door. I currently
> still have the stock speakers in front, but they
> don't quite keep up with
> the BAs and my 10" sub in back (duh). I'd love to
get
> a component kit with
> 6" mids, but I got quoted $350 for custom kick
panels
> (and that's WITHOUT
> the speakers!). Ugh.
>
> Anybody know of *good* speakers I can install in the
> front with little or no
> modification?
>
> Neal
>

> > As for the speakers, mine had all 4 stock 4x6s,
but
> > replaced the blown
> > ones with Kickers.  My advise is to  go and get
the
> Pioneer Premier
> > component plates with a 4" sub and a neodynium
> tweeter.

> If you experience other problems, email:
> scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org

===
Mark

87 Westfalia Gl