Re: a/c conversion

From: yankeefan@baseballmail.com
Subject: a/c conversion

I need to recharge my ac before it gets hot again (i live in vegas). Has anyone bought the do-it-yourself conversion kit that they sell in the auto parts stores???? is this kit easy to put in, or should I save myself the frustration and pay "the beetle barn" $200 to do it? any info helpful. thanks

-tony
84 8v (black on black isnt very fun when its 120 degrees  outside)

That depends on what ya got in there. If you have the old freon, R-12, then you have to get someone to do it for you. This stuff is near to impossible to by as an individual. I think you can buy it in large quanities but that is kinda useless. I waould just tahke it into a good a/c shop/mechanic and have them first check for leaks. They mostly appear at the valves where you charge and discharge the system.  Have them fix any and all leaks. If the system is leak free then when the recharge the system it should last for years to come.

Conversions to the new freon is as I have heard through the list fairly easy but you still need to get someone to dischrge the freon that is in there. Also the new stuff is not as cold as R-12, so being in Vegas I would try to stick with the R-12.

HTH

mark hausler
'81 scirocco s
'94 toyo 4x4