Important lesson learned.

Argh!!

Well, since the drivers side seat belt did'nt retract that quickly in my
82 Scirocco, I thought I'd pull out the mechanism and lube it a bit.
BIG MISTAKE.

Once the belt is given slack, it will pull into the belt mechanism, and
you'll never get it out again. UGH! I thought I'd take it apart. Once I
popped off the cover, a small coil goes "SSSPPPRRAAANNNGG!" and almost
took  out my eye as it QUICKLY expands into a pretty metallic bow. I
sure jumped! Holy crap.

Off to the wreckers I go tomorrow and driving without a safety belt.
Lucky me.I pray a piggie wont see me.

So a lesson from me, to all of you VW folk, if your belt does'nt retract
like it should, suffer with it as is, or replace it. :)