2.0liter Scirocco's from the factory... in 89???? in US????

Ok.... I thought we decided that there were never any 2.0liter scirocco's
made??  right?   Well, there's this guy at work that SWEARS up and down that
his wife's car is an 89 2.0liter 16V with only 55k miles on it.  I've all but
told him that he's full of his own fecal matter.  Now i tried to tell him that
I've never heard of such a creation from the factory & that they weren't even
imported to the US in 89 as far as i know.  He says since I started talking to
him that he's taken it to the dealership(yah, like that impresses me) and it
was confirmed.  He says he's gonna bring it to work one day.  If so I'll be
under the damn thing looking for the bubble block.  I want to tell him he's
stooopid.  He's lookn to mess up my static IP at work so i'm gonna get him any
way I can.  heheh.  anywho, sorrry for ranting
Dan May
8716VScirocco
91Passat wagon(still broke)
95.5Tacoma4x4