Re: reliable family car (non rocco)

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, noodle noggin wrote:

> Hey, Please excuse the non rocco post but I need a family kinda car. I
> was wondering how reliable the quantums, or  mid '80s audi 5000 were.

Hey, Dave...

I had a Quantum several years ago, and didn't have a single problem from
it.  It had some stuff wrong when I bought, such as a cracked headlight
mount point, and I quickly discovered that parts were *expensive*.  The
headlight assembly, for example, was $180.

Someone on the watercooled newsgroup wrote me and said to think Audi 4000
under the skin; that's pretty accurate when buying parts.

Great car, though!  If you live somewhere with lots of junkyards that have
VWs, I'd say go for it.  They're comfortable, reliable, and have lots of
stuff, like power windows and central locking, etc.  Mine had a sunroof,
too.

Carlyle