Front suspension question and book question

Ok, quick questions:
I just found out that my front right shock is frozen, so i needs to
replace the front shocks.  The garage i use is very reputable,
doesn't rip me off, and knows what they are doing, they are
currently going to put on whatever came stock with my car(i have
an 86 8 valve) are these any good? or should i ask for something
else? (as a side note, i live in Massachusetts, roads suck, all torn
to crap all the time, so i don't want anything too harsh, any
suggestions?)
2) Did any one come to any kind of conlussions about which of
those 2 books that are out about tuning water cooled VW's are
worth it?
thanks a bunch, and please email me directly, as i think
suspension questions seem to be shot to death recently,
thanks for any help!
Rob Luhrs
86 8v