Re: Re: Steering Wheel movement

From: "Jonathan Miles" <jem@clara.co.uk>

Subject: Re: Steering Wheel movement

Thanks for that.  The symptoms that I describe are exactly as if the nut has
come loose, but unfortunately it hasn't. The problem seems to be further
down the column than that.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

furthur down the column is a universal joint that connects the column to the steering box. There should be a single bolt holding the column shaft to the U-joint. and there is a simmilar bolt holding the other end to te steering box. The one at the end of the column could be loose. Also on my '81 the lower bearing has a very small plastic lip that limits the column shaft from moving down and then at the top of the column is a plastic spaces that sets the length at the steering wheel.
I hope I don't confuse you more. And then if yours is a '90 then things do change.

Anywho best of luck

mark hausler
'81 scirocco s
'94 toyo 4x4