fun stuff like plugs wires and distributors

Is there really any noticable difference between the Bosch silver spark plugs and the 3-prong OEM ones in an 84 8V? The OEM ones are around $4 each where the silver ones are $8 each which is a Bosch retail price (I'm sure they can be found a buck or so cheaper).

I ended up buying all OEM stuff for this tune up (distrib cap, rotor, plugs, and wires)... kinda cool to see the VW emblem back on the wires. I found a guy selling them for $45 which are the exact same thing that VW is selling for $90. cool--on a stick.

THANK YOU to everyone on the list who emailed me... I came pretty close to practically throwing a bunch of money down the toilet.

***WARNING the rest of this email is me rambling on***

And here is something odd that was just brought to my attention... VW made four different distributor caps for the 8V Scirocco. Apparantly two thin shaft ones with no pins in the holes on top, and two thick shaft ones WITH pins in the holes on top of the cap.

Here is where it gets odd, I have an 84 8V 1.8L engine sold and registered in late 83. This particular car was supposed to be made with the old style thick-shaft distributor without the pins (instead the wires have pins that get jammed down into the empty hole).

Some how I have the thin one WITH pins instead (which is a good thing apparantly). This model of cap & rotor was unique to the 85. hmmm unusual.

-Aaron M Braun
http://zap.to/aaron
84 8V Scirocco