Re: Splitfire Plugs not a good idea

Vik Banerjee wrote:

> I put platinum plugs in my GTI and when it was in the VW dealers for some
> work the mechanic told me that platinum plugs were a very bad idea for the
> engine (something to do with operating temp) and he replaced them for free
> with standard plugs.  He said he has seen a lot of engine probs in A2 cars
> that were caused by platinum plugs.  I can't confirm or deny this myself,
> but he has always given me good advice so far.
>
> Anybody have any info  on this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vik

I worked at an auto parts store for a couple years. My impression was that bosch platinum's where pretty good plugs. I have heard
some people say they are bad in vw's, I found they got a lot of deposits on them in a hurry. I ran NGK's and had zero problems, I
also ran bosch standards with no problems. Splitfires are made by allied signal, hold one up to a 99 cent  autolite plug (allied
signal is autolite) it's the same thing, they suck. VW goes with NGK and Bosch from factory I think and I've had very good luck
with both these brands.

Jason.
87 Scirocco 16v 2.0 Motronic.