Re: Cold Starts

TollGTI@AOL.COM wrote:

> Like most VW's, my car suffers from bad cold starts.  I always have to give it
> throttle and keep my foot on it a little to keep my car from stalling in the
> mornings.  So I replaced the fuel injector O-rings this weekend and for the
> first 2 cold starts it was great.  Didn't have to give it throttle at all.
> But by the next day it was already back to normal.  I can still tell a
> difference after the car gets moving, the idle doesn't bounce down below 800
> when depressing the clutch as it used to do but the starting is still the
> same.  What else can I do?  I remember hearing something about an extra ground
> strap on the battery helping a lot, has anyone tried this?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn
> '89 GTI 16V

Check all your grounds. Make sure the cold star injector is working properly. Make sure you are getting a hot blue spark from your
coil, and if that doesn't help I'd say set your timing, check your idle speed and mixture and make sure you don't have any vacuum
leaks. I've seen a lot of people talk about having lots of cold starting problems. I had an '80 rabbit, and 82 rocco, and an 87
rocco 16v, they all start instantly in 20 degree F weather and idle fine. This is a common problem, I've found more often than not
it's usually something inexpensive and easy to fix, get a flashlight and inspect everything for bad connections or leaks. Good
luck!

Jason.
87 Scirocco 16v 2.0 Motronic.