Re: Chris! The New Joys of Carpet

Hey guys-

sorry I haven't replied, but I went on  VACATION!

I went on a cruise to the Bahamas with my GF, so cars were the LAST
thing on my mind <wink, wink>!

Yeah, I dyed my interior. I was doing a few pieces at a time and I still
have to finish my door panels.
I went form that nasty 84 JettaGLI baby blue to black.
I don't remember the name of the stuff I bought, but it was from
pepboys. I bought a bunch of cans of Vinyl spray dye and Fabric spray
dye.
I had everything removed from the car to make it easier (dash and all).
Clean REAL good with Simple Green and a brush with plenty of water. Make
sure its dry and 'let-er rip!  I did the cloth inserts on the seats
first, then did the vinyl.  Do a few coats, get everywhere.

i was nervous that the seats would get black on my GF's ass too, so I
put a white sheet over them for the first month. I didn't see any
transfer suprisingly!
The vinyl dye works great. The cloth stuff isn't wonderful, tho.  The
seat inserts faded slightly, but look real cool now cause they're a nice
grey. The carpet came out bad and it looks navy blue.  in their defense,
it says on the can- DO NOT USE FOR COLOR CHANGE.  Oh, well-- worth a
shot.    i wouldn't use the vinyl dye on carpet, tho.. it'll make it
crusty.
I like the idea of the RIT dye... ill try that when it gets warm out...

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus
58 Type1 Ragtop