Re: [Tech] Stiff Heater Controls

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, 16V JASON wrote:
> 	Quick question:
>
> 	Lately, my temperature lever on the HVAC controls has getting harder and
> harder to move, especially when it's all the way at HOT.  It gets much
> worse when it's really cold (in fact, there were several times I couldn't
> move it at all until the car was nice and warm).
>
> 	Rather than break the whole control box and cable, can I lubricate the
> cable or something?

Difficulties with the HVAC control usually come down
to that heater control valve, which is in the engine
bay near the firewall attached to a plastic box
which holds the valve (controlling the coolant
circulating back into the car). The valve lever on
that thing usually corrodes with age and eventually
(always in the winter) snaps off. See if you can lubricate
it, but if it looks like crap, odds are it'll eventually
snap soon at which point the cable will free up but
you'll be stuck with a hot or cold car.

Kareem
'88 16v