clutch problem revisited

OK, so I have been without my scirocco for nearly 2 weeks now, and I'm
getting desperate.

The problem is with the clutch, namely, it will not disengage. The
mechanic that did the clutch job for me 6 months ago was kind enough to
extend the warranty from 3 months to 6 months. When he sent out the
flywheel to get resurfaced, the machine shop said there was damage to it
and they recommended getting it replaced.

I got a lightened flywheel from Velocity ($119 exch vs. 179 elsewhere).
The mechanic put it in and the damn clutch still wont disengage. WTF

What I desperately need to know is what could be the cause? The mech
replaced the clutch disc ( which was damaged) but said the pressure
plate was fine. He thinks the flywheel is suspect ( it is used, so he
thinks excessive resurfacing could be the cause, I call this BS) He will
split the cost of the labor if I decide to pull the transmission again.

I studied the clutch mechanism in Bentley, and from what I could tell it
is a pretty simple system. The clutch lever pushes on the throwout
bearing, which pushes on the clutch pushrod, which pushes on the
pressure plate. If the problem is not with the clutch plate or the
pressure plate, could it be at the other end of the pushrod? The Mech
denies any such possibility.

So does anyone have an experience like this? Can you help me? I dont want
to pay $150 for labor that does no good.

TIA

Jonas
85 Scirocco

PS the mech will call me this morning (Monday) to find out what I want
him to do, so a quick response will be greatly appreciated.