elusive problem

I just replaced the following parts:

air filter, fuel filter, one wiring harness, 2 fuel lines that run from fuel distributor to warm-up regulator, warm-up regulator.

I replaced the parts due to the fire I had recently, but now that I'm done, the car sputter VERY badly (both the exhaust and engine) actually, the engine is jumping all over the place when idiling. It's so bad that it's difficult to accelerate from a stop.

When I was replacing the parts, I removed the radiator hoses that run into the block at the top-right (so I could reach the warm-up regulator) and I also removed the distributor cap. The cap snaps on in only one position, so I dont think that is the cause of this 'sputtering'.

Now, one thing I'm not sure of at ALL, is there are three wires that run from the wire harness that I just replaced, to the coolant hose 'T' (metal) that runs into the top-right of the block, and two wires run to the oil filter. I just guessed at hooking these wires up, because the original wires were so melted that I could not see their color pattern to match with the new ones.

Does anyone have an idea of what may be causing this 'sputtering' ?

Thank you for reading, and thank you for any advise.

84 8V

-Aaron M Braun
http://zap.to/aaron
84 8V Scirocco